Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Going, going,.....Gaddafi. But business going on.

MUAMMAR GADDAFI has appeared on Libyan TV to disprove rumours sustained among others by British Foreign Secretary William Hague that he had fled the country. Venezuela had already denied that he was there. But with the Libyan dictator already dependent on foreign mercenaries, and air strikes ordered against his own people, how much longer can his regime prolong Libya's agony by trying to cling on?

Over 400 people have reportedly been killed already in Libya. Not much reliable news is being allowed to leak out, but two Libyan jets and some helicopters landed in Malta yesterday, with air force officers -two said to be colonels - saying they had fled after refusing orders to bomb civilians.

There were reports of air strikes on two places near Tripoli, Misurata and Azawiya, and even on suburbs of the capital itself. The two planes in Malta may have been those sent to Benghazi to carry out similar attacks before deciding to defect.

Much of Benghazi had reportedly already been taken over by rebels, with some army units coming over to the people. In Tripoli itself some districts were barricaded, as residents prepared to resist foreign mercenaries rampaging through the streets shooting people.

Today's Guardian quotes Ali Zeidan, of the Libyan League of Human Rights, in Munich: "Protesters gathered for very big street demonstrations. Then at 3am, forces came without any warning and started shooting live ammunition into the crowd. Some of the demonstrators ran, others fell. There were about 60 killed and around 130 injured. It wasn't the police, it wasn't the army, it was Gaddafi's elite guard assisted by paid foreign African fighters.


"Libyans used to be afraid. But after they saw the blood, they aren't afraid anymore, they are angry. Everybody knows somebody who has been killed or injured, everyone is very angry. What Gaddafi's son said made people furious, it's as if the people can just be treated like trash. Now people don't want to go back to what they had for the last 42 years [of Gaddafi's rule]. Now they feel no fear, if there are deaths people accept that we must carry on. Protesters will go to the centre again today and keep demonstrating until the job is done.".

Souhayr Belhassen, head of the International Federation of Human Rights, said she had gathered accounts from Tunisians and others who had left Libya, describing how property belonging to Gaddafi had been attacked and police stations set alight. "The revolt is heading to the capital," she said. She said senior figures including ambassadors and security forces, were abandoning Gaddafi. "They have jumped ship and the boat is sinking," she said.


Labels: , ,


At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Heather Hadden said...

I have the utmost respect for all of those people that are ready to protest against Gaddafi┬┤s brutal regime and support their need for change even knowing that it really could be their last day.

At 1:48 AM, Blogger Maju said...

I'm reading a lot of "left-wing" blogs who are saying nonsense about the Lybian part of the Arab Revolution being some sort of "NATO imperialist plot", even Fidel Castro says that. I am glad that there is still people in the Left who can think independently as you do.

Keep it up!


Post a Comment

<< Home